Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Rule #8.

From how to blog by Tony Pierce:

8. dont worry very much about the design of your blog. image is a fakeout.
Agreed, image is a fakeout. But I had to have a custom header for the blog, and that's why I've got one now. It's American Typewriter, which I love, because it reminds me of Pistill Roman somehow. The denim texture I figured looked like me because I wear blue jeans all the time. The tagline is ironic, since it uses two words I dearly hate, "memes" and "blogosphere." I added the date to the tagline to let everyone know that I've been doing this longer than they have. Unless, of course, I haven't.

So there ya go. Haven't worked on anything, even the sidebar stuff, for quite some time. I think it's human nature to futz with this kind of shit when your blog is new and then leave it alone. Dooce, as always, is an exception, putting a new face on her blog every once in a while. But then her blog has zillions of readers and actually makes money.

10 comments:

Jason said...

My rule #1 of blogging:

Don't take advice from someone who can't find the shift key or the apostrophe.

Shocho said...

We'll be addressing that a couple of rules down the line. Heed not the siren call of punctuation when wisdom lies elsewhere.

Kindralas said...

Considering the grey fox's header image has a serious case of lower case going on, I offer the following:

Funny.

Shocho said...

But I added quotes where none are needed, doesn't that count for anything?

Anonymous said...

In some cases, e.g.if you want your blog entry to be more like living speech, you can ignore rules of punctuation. Yor post will be more vivid.

Kindralas said...

Werd, yo.

BTW, where's the blog post about the refs getting a call right, going to instant replay and overturning it?

Considering your hatred of the replay, I figured that was a shoe-in.

Jason said...

In some cases, e.g.if you want your blog entry to be more like living speech, you can ignore rules of punctuation. Yor post will be more vivid.

Or you will look like a 10-year-old using his big brother's account.

An occasionl typo here and there is fine.

typing like this all the time looks lazy

Then again, maybe it's just the editor in me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Jason, I am just an accountant, spend my day with nine digits and their random combinations and the four basic operations of arithmetics:)

Shocho said...

jason dood u r so rong

thisismarcus said...

You know when you Google and get a link that seems like it will have all the information you're looking for then you go there and the design is yellow and pink and grey with flashing animations and your eyes start to bleed and you go back to Google because there's no way in hell two experts in the field can have the same shitty taste in design? Well, I don't consider image a fakout.