Saturday, November 17, 2007

Skidoo is coming.

Skidoo is one of those strange movies from the 60s that must be seen to be believed. I haven't seen it, but I'd like to. (Thanks to Mark Evanier for the cool graphic.)

Made in 1968 by Otto Preminger, Skidoo stars Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Frank Gorshin, Peter Lawford, Burgess Meredith, George Raft, Cesar Romero, Mickey Rooney and Groucho Marx (in his final movie role). It's scored by Harry Nilsson.

Have you seen Head, the Monkees movie? Or Magical Mystery Tour, the Beatles movie? They both are horrible and completely incomprehensible, but there is nothing else like them. That's hard to say in a long history of cinema.

I've seen a lot of movies, and I like movies, and I like things I don't understand (as Grace Slick once said). If you're that kind of film buff, you should schedule some DVR time to watch Skidoo.

It won't be good, but it will be something to see.

No comments: