Monday, October 01, 2007

Mongolian death worm.

It is described as a fat, bright red worm, two to four feet long (about 0.6 to 1.2 meters). The local name is allghoi (or orghoi) khorkhoi (хорхой) which means "blood filled intestine worm," because it is reported to look like the intestine of a cow.

There are a number of extraordinary claims by Mongolian locals (such as the ability of the worm to spew forth a yellow poison that is lethal on contact, and its purported ability to kill at a distance by means of electric discharge).

However, there are no known reliable sightings. Some believe the worm is actually a reptile, legless lizard, or arthropod because of the dry climate in which it lives. The colour yellow is said to attract the worm.

3 comments:

Bpaul said...

Dood, I so have to check this out

/geek on

Shocho said...

I knew I'd get you with that one. I'm thinking of a career change. I want to be a cryptozoologist.

Bpaul said...

Outside of "being Jaque Cousteau" -- my absolute first career choice was Cryptozoologist. No kidding, very early on.