Saturday, November 11, 2006

Runaways drummer dead at 47.

Sandy West, drummer of The Runaways, died of lung cancer. If you're not familiar with this short-lived all-girl "proto-punk and rock and roll band," it featured Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Cherie Currie, Jackie Fox, and Sandy. You've certainly heard of Jett and probably Ford. Currie made some solo albums and she's currently a chainsaw carving artist (!). Fox became a lawyer (!!).

Anyway, why do I care? Well in 1976 or so, I lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana and I had a roommate named Glenn. At some drag strip, there was a Runaways concert, and I dragged him there for his birthday. The girls were just teenagers, and dressed to thrill. I saw for the first time guys rushing the stage to get a good look.

Surprisingly, the band rocked and I later bought their album. They weren't just "jailbait on the run." The fact that they looked like that was not a bad thing. Needless to say, when Jett and Ford became famous I followed their careers.

So, I'm sad to see that one of them has passed away, especially because these girls are about my age. That always hits ya kinda hard.

No comments: