Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My 1729th blog post.

Not really, but it's a cool number. It's the new 1337. Shows up in several Futurama episodes. This is a number you should use to show that you are weirdly hip. Beware, nerdy math geek stuff ahead:

1729 is known as the Hardy-Ramanujan number, after a famous anecdote of the British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a hospital visit to the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. In Hardy's words:

"I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."
If that doesn't get you all moist and excited... well, you're probably normal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not normal: Had to open up Excel and figure out that it was 12 and 1 or 10 and 9.

Jason said...

My favorite number is 9801. It's the square of 99, which just happens to be 98 + 01. I even knew a girl in high school whose phone number was 283-9801, and that's the only reason I remember it. Well, that and she was hot.