Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Voice of God.

That's what they call the incredibly deep voiced announcers used in commercials and movie trailers. It's always cool to see the face behind the voice, and remember that this is just a guy you might see at the supermarket. There was a recent MasterCard commercial with their gravitas-voiced announcer working at a convenience store, which I thought was hilarious. Anyway, this short film is five guys in a limo, featuring four Voices of God and also the guy who does the Disney voiceovers, with his relentlessly cheery but still stentorian voice. Really funny stuff. I'm fascinated in the whole business of voiceovers, and I hate it when they get screwed like in Shrek where Cameron Diaz got $20 million for doing HER OWN VOICE while hundreds of talented voice actors were passed over. Honestly, when the big movie stars like her do these kind of jobs, they even tell them to NOT use a funny voice so everybody knows who they are. Pitiful. Here's a quote from Billy West, the voice of Stimpy, on the subject:

[W]ith your little strip of vocal cords, you’re going to create heavens and hells and universes and populations of people, which is the whole idea that a voice person has in their head. It’s like, “Whatever it is, I’ll be it.” But the voice people can physically escape the sound of their own voice. We do multiple voices. We used to save producers’ asses, because they’d hire you and say, “Well, we were going to get six people, but we can’t afford it. Can you do this, this, and this?” And you’d do them, and they’d be perfectly happy, and they’d save a bundle of dough. Now, it’s the exact opposite. The minute they mention a CGI film, they’re already looking to see what RenĂ©e Zellweger is doing. They’re already looking to see what Billy Crystal is doing. This doesn’t make sense, to do what they do—spend zillions on visuals, and then have this totally fucking flat-lining voice track. You know, “Hey, I’m Will Smith, I’m a clam! I’m Will Smith, I’m a kangaroo!” All you bring to the performance is your own ego. They’re just being themselves. Let’s put it this way: Cameron Diaz is the highest paid voice actress in history: $20 million for Shrek. Why? Because she has a 9-foot mouth? That works somewhere else, but not on tape! [Laughs.] It’s like what the hell is that all about?
Link

8 comments:

Kathy said...

It's amazing to imdb a voice actor like Billy West. He did so many voices in some of those projects he was involved with that they just list him as "voice characterizations" instead of by each individual character.

I know I was amazed the first timeI saw which voices he does (that can be present tense now that there will soon be a Futurama movie) on Futurama. I pride myself on being able to recognize voices, and I honestly wouldn't have guessed that the same person voiced Fry, Dr. Farnsworth, Professor Zoidberg, Zap Brannigan, and Richard Nixon's head.

And this one's just for LWC--he also does the voice of the red M&M on the commercials.

Before I really start to look like I know a little too much about this guy (really, I'm just impressed by people who can use their voices so prolifically...call it professional courtesy) I'll just sign off.

Tom said...

That clip was great.

When is the futurama movie?

GiromiDe said...

I read that A/V Club article a few months ago and couldn't agree me with Mr. West. Voice work is perhaps more grueling than filmed work, and it's an insult to just throw in overpriced "face actors" to do their own voices.

I suppose this subject intrigues me so much because people have told me I should try to break into voice work. I'd need a coach for a while, that's for sure.

Trundling Grunt said...

There was a great black comedy mystery called In The Red (starring Warren Clarke) which had a female BBC Radio commentator (voice of the goddess?) as one of the characters. She was young, dressed like a pixie, and smoked dope constantly - changed my view of BBC radio forever.

DrHeimlich said...

I actually recognized one of the guys from the video clip -- Nick Tate was in a particularly good episode of Deep Space Nine ("Honor Among Thieves"), playing a character that left a big impression on me.

GiromiDe said...

I'd like to punch both the NBC Comedy and NBC Drama Voices of God in their respective face.

Mkae said...

Very funny Shocho, thanks for sharing.

If you want to see something else with one of these guys, check out this:

Seinfeld: Comedian

Shocho said...

Oh man! That trailer was hilarious. "You're fired!" "No, I like it in here." Absolutely nothing to do with the movie at all, but fucking funny.