Thursday, January 18, 2007

The story of a boy, a girl, and a universe.

I saw this trailer at a theater just before Christmas 1976. I don't recall what movie we were seeing. When we saw this trailer, we all pledged to go see this movie. We were hooked with 30 seconds of action and a five-month wait seemed a small price to pay, even then.



Note that the logo is wrong, the music is negligible and not John Williams, and the description of the movie in the voiceover is ridiculous. But I will always remember the first time I saw a Wookiee and a Stormtrooper.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Bless YouTube. That is pretty cool.

Aussie-Askew said...

Bloody awesome, although I have no recolection of ever seeing such a trailer.

Funny how far the art of trailers has come as well as the art of SFX. Strange choice that the second character they show is Chewie, which must have had the greatest risk of being thought of as "silly".

And we can see how Lucas was unhappy with David Prowse/Vader's voice: they knew they had to redub the voice, but they hadn't got it done yet... so no Vader lines to be heard.

DEATH_BY_MONKEYS said...

Wow. That is an amazing trailer.

Mkae said...

I remember seeing that trailer as well. I believe I saw it prior to the movie "Slithis" which was the first movie that I saw a woman's naked breast in.

Hence, I saw that trailer 28 times.