Friday, June 09, 2006

The iTunes Music Store sucks.

A nice discussion here of why I have never bought a song from the iTunes Music Store.

You didn't have to abandon your CDs to switch to MP3s (in fact, the more CDs you owned, the better your MP3 experience was, since you could rip those CDs to seed your MP3 collection), but if you want to go from Apple's iTunes to a competing device, ever, you have to be prepared to abandon your whole investment.
The Music Store doesn't support the artists it features, it supports the RIAA companies that blackmailed it.
...many artists report that they're seeing $0.07 or less from the sale of their music on the iTunes Store, so all your money is doing is lining the pockets of the same recording companies that are busily suing grannies, little kids and everyone else they can get their hands on).

5 comments:

Kathy said...

All the online music stores have DRM, and therefore, suck because they now believe they're selling me a license to play a song instead of a damn song.

The CD player in the new car plays MP3 CDs, and I can think of no reason why I can't burn the music I buy from an online store to a CD so I can play the stuff I legally own while I'm driving.

So, while iTunes does suck, I think it's really the RIAA and DRM that sucks. Which is another reason why I'll never support Blu-Ray, as it is basically just more DRM for DVDs.

Mkae said...

And don't forget, that according to the contract you agree to, if you declare bankruptcy, you're required to delete your collection.

Wonderful bunch that Apple group.

Jon said...

Check out what the Podsage Music Network is up to. They have $.99 downloads with no DRM and unlimited re-download rights (that is, you bought it, you own it, even if your computer crashes you can get a new copy).

They don't have a ton of music available for sale right now, but that's coming very soon.

Jon said...

Sorry, typo.

That should be Podsafe Music Network.

Shocho said...

At a quick glance, Podsafe looks like it supports artists and not music companies. I am very much in favor of doing that. Thanks, Jon.