Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Perplex City is not a collectible card game.

Game designer Andrea refutes my claims, saying that there is more to Perplex City than just solving puzzles on cards. It's true that I ignored the roleplaying aspect of Perplex City in my other post. However, it's not a card game and not a collectible card game so I still have issues with the Origins Awards nomination.

I concede that the Vanguard nomination is appropriate. I note that the Origins Awards has two Vanguard categories, one for "innovative" products and one for "unique" products. I'm not sure what the difference is there. "First" and "only"?

Perplex City operates on at least two levels. I have sampled only the most basic level, and I appreciate the fact that there is more to it than that. I wonder how many of the over 22,000 people who have solved some of the puzzles on the cards are actually playing the game. It's a large-scale roleplaying game, and that's not something I'm interested in pursuing.

No comments: