Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Passing is good. This wing is not.

A solution from the FIA to the lack of "overtaking" (we call it "passing" in the States) in Formula 1 racing.

The Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) Wing is effectively two small rear wings - one over each wheel - with a clear gap in between. This gap would create a wake in which a following car would generate more downforce, allowing them to run much closer to the car in front through corners, hence making passing easier.
I hate the way this looks, and I'd rather see the cars run with no rear wing. But I guess that would break the connection between high-tech racing cars and street cars with "wings" and spoilers, and no automotive marketing department wants that. We must sell ten pounds of non-aerodynamic fiberglass on the back of our front-wheel-drive street cars!

The A1 Grand Prix technical specs include a rear wing designed to create some "dirty air" to increase overtaking. I'm sure the FIA is monitoring this idea to see if it actually works. At least the A1 GP wings still go all the way across.

1 comment:

Tom said...

My brother showed me this a while ago. You are right that it is unattractive, but anything for a pass.

BTW, when I worked on the electic race car in school it had no rear wing. I really really didn't like that. It felt like a junior race car or go kart or somefin. I think you'd hate that more than you think :)