Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Robert Tilton is nuts.

If you've never watched Robert Tilton's evangelistic TV show, it's a hoot. He receives letters from viewers, holds them in both hands and prays real hard (you can see the strain on his overacting face) for the writer. Incredibly, from time to time, he babbles incoherently, declaring that he is "speaking in tongues." Could be a scam at work here.

"I must tell you boldly: God wants to make you rich. . . . God wants to make a millionaire out of certain ones who receive this letter. Is it you?"
Here's a photo sample of the items you get when you write to Tilton (maybe that should be "wrote," since I don't think he's on the air any more), which makes the whole experience even cheesier. Well, as Redmond Simonsen once told me, "You got to have a shtick."

7 comments:

GiromiDe said...

Is he still "preaching?" I thought he left the game a while ago.

I suppose this is what happens when I move away from Bible Belt.

Dave(id) said...

That guy is bizarre, what a great gig though! The video links at the bottom of your photo link are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see any video links, but a Google/filesharing search for "farting preacher" will turn up a great movie of Tilton.

Actually, I still have it posted on my site:

Farting Preacher

Shocho said...

I would love to see this video, Mike, but it actually locks up my operating system, so unless you can direct me to another link and/or another format, I'm stuck.

Anonymous said...

Hrm, it's nothing unusual; straight MPEG format. Can the browser on your OS handle embedded videos? I looked around and found it here too.

Shocho said...

Okay, I searched for "Farting Preacher" and was able to watch this one which was incredibly the fourth in a series! It featured about two dozen farts by Tilton, most accompanied by "Hallelujah!" That guy is a piece of work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I must be behind! The one I have is the 2nd in the series. Apparently it was a big hit as far back as the early 90's when this tape made circulation on VHS. Anyway, if I recall, he got busted (like most of these guys) for taking the money and spending it on anything but the "Lord's work" so he was done for awhile, but he's obviously back.