Thursday, June 16, 2005

Natalie Morales has her hair up today.

She's the second-string newscaster on the Today show. (JESUS CHRIST! He's talking about the Today show again.) These faux people I watch on television are my new workmates. They talk to me about current events, and I note their wardrobe and the funny things they say. Thank God the 700 Club comes on at 10 a.m. which is terrifying enough to make me turn off the TV for the rest of the day.

One more thing I wanted to mention, which I will hide in this post (extra credit for discerning readers!) is that I LOVE live television. News broadcasts, sports event, awards shows, beauty pageants, love 'em all. The excitement that somebody might belch or trip is palpable for me. So much of television (and in fact, all forms of entertainment) is scripted, polished, and unreal, that I like the live stuff.

I include "reality TV" in the former category as well. Reality TV is like live TV that has been laundered and edited to take all the fun out of it.

In fact, when I'm in California, I watch that interminable morning show with Jillian Barberie, "Good Day L.A." Just because they're goofy and stupid and live.

No comments: